Who is Rogue?
For over thirty years, Rogue has been at the forefront of Oregon’s booming beer industry. By offering an ever-changing product lineup, Rogue has developed a fan base that never knows what to expect other than the unexpected.
At Rogue, we believe in getting our hands dirty and doing the job ourselves. We’re continuously experimenting and innovating to craft World Class ales, lagers, spirits, canned cocktails and more for Rogues everywhere.
Our mantra: Dare. Risk. Dream.
Dare more than others think is wise.
Risk more than others think is safe.
Dream more than others think is practical.
Why Newport, Oregon?
Jack Joyce, Rogue’s founder, was driving through Oregon looking for a location for a second brewpub when he found himself stuck in Newport, Ore., in an unusual snowstorm. There he met Mohava Niemi, aka “Mo” (founder of Mo’s Restaurants) who extended her signature hospitality. Over a bowl of her famous clam chowder, Mo told Jack she’d always dreamed of living above a bar and offered to rent Jack the vacant storefront and her garage under two conditions:
- Rogue promises to “feed the fishermen.” This was Mo’s way of saying give back to the community because the vast majority of Newport’s residents are fishermen. Rogue committed to feeding the fishermen three decades ago and still gives back today through donations, cause beers and partnerships such as the one with Dreamland Skateparks.
- A photo of Mo in a bathtub forever hangs over the bar. To this day, this photo of Mo hangs in every
Jack agreed to these terms and the Rogue Bayfront Public House soon opened in Mo’s storefront. Before long, this would become Rogue Ales & Spirits main location when the Ashland brewpub was forced to close
due to flooding.
The brewpub in the back of the Bayfront Public House eventually moved to a larger facility on South Beach in Newport, which has now become Rogue World Headquarters. Over the past three decades, Rogue has grown from a brewery to a globally recognized beverage brand. Rogue products are now available in all 50 states and more than 50 countries.
Rogue today includes 6 pubs throughout Oregon, Rogue Brewer’s on the Bay Production Facility, Rogue Eastside Pilot Brewery, Rogue Spirits Distillery and Rogue Rolling Thunder Barrel Works, where the head cooper handmakes a barrel a day.
Rogue Fast Facts:
- Rogue was founded in 1988 by Jack Joyce, Bob Woodell,
Rob Strasser and Jeff Schultz
- Rogue’s first outpost was in Ashland, Oregon
- In 2003, Rogue began distilling as one of America’s first independent craft distilleries
- In 2014 Rogue opens the Rolling Thunder Barrel Works and begins coopering their own barrels
- Rogue is the only brewery-distillery-cooperage in the country
- Rogue has only had two Brewmasters: John Maier (retired in 2019) & Joel Shields
- Rogue’s canning line runs at 235 cans per minute or 14,100 cans an hour
- Rogue has won more than 2,000 awards for taste, quality and packaging
Latest Blog Posts
Buy Rogue Beer, Spirits & CBD
Rock Rogue Merch & Accessories